Partner Assessment + Community Buy-In: Our model capitalizes on the existing entrepreneurial zeal of our local partners and our long-standing relationships with the communities. goods for good uses strict partner criteria to assess each community center's capacity to run a successful enterprise. We prioritize employing vulnerable people, including those living with or affected by HIV/AIDS, and ensure a gender balance amongst those employed.
Business Plan Development + Training: goods for good and its partners perform a comprehensive market survey to determine the most viable type of business for each center. We then facilitate extensive management and financial training in partnership with the International Labour Organization. Armed with this knowledge, our leaders create a business plan in partnership with goods for good. Each plan includes a budget, which controls for risk, addresses market fluctuations, and sets the community up for success.
Enterprise Launch: Once the business plan is complete, we provide the startup capital and technical support for the first year of operation. To ensure financial independence in year two and insure against future shocks, the community center deposits 50% of the first year's profit into a savings account. The remaining 50% of profit is allocated between direct orphan care programs and operating support for the center. 70% of that profit finances orphan care programs, including school scholarships and nutrition programs. The remaining 30% supports operations, such as staff salaries and center improvements.
Monitor + Evaluate: goods for good's local staff closely monitors and evaluates the business.
Solvent Enterprise: During years two and three, goods for good will continue to monitor the enterprise. The community will continue to save funds and invest the remaining profit in orphan care programming and operations. By the end of the third year, goods for good will drastically cut back monitoring of this program and leave the enterprise to function independently.